- 1 (1 1/2 pound) eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Brush cut sides of eggplant with olive oil and place, cut-side up onto a baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, brown the Italian sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat; drain off the grease. Place into a mixing bowl, and season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and the beaten egg; mix well.
- Once the roasted eggplant has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh to within 1/2-inch of the skin to create a shell. Roughly chop the eggplant meat, and fold into the sausage mixture. Divide evenly among the two eggplant shells, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until the filling has set, and the cheese is bubbly and golden-brown, about 30 minutes. While the eggplant is baking, warm the remaining spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat to serve with the eggplant.
sausage-stuffed eggplant, recipe