- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 sandwich rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- lemon, juiced
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®) (optional)
- 4 leaves chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, level surface; firmly pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet to an even thickness. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour flour into a large, flat dish. Beat eggs thoroughly in a shallow bowl. Pour bread crumbs into another large, flat dish.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in flour, dip in beaten eggs, and coat with bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook breaded chicken in batches until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on an ovenproof plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in the oven.
- Spread mayonnaise over bottom half of each sandwich roll; top with 1 piece of breaded chicken, a few drops of lemon juice, 1 dash hot sauce, and 1 lettuce leaf. Spread mustard over the top half of each sandwich roll. Place top halves over lettuce to form sandwiches.
Schnitzel Sandwich, recipe