- 5 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound beef chuck steak, cut across the grain into 1 1/2-inch-thin strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red cooking wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Holland-style pearl onions, drained
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- Heat olive oil and butter together in a skillet over low heat until smooth.
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Coat beef strips in flour mixture, gently shaking off any excess flour.
- Increase heat under skillet to medium. Add beef to skillet and cook and stir until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Mix mushrooms into beef, adding more oil if pan is dry; cook and stir until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Pour wine into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beef broth and return to a boil.
- Cover skillet and cook until beef is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Mix onions into beef mixture; cook and stir until onions are warmed, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and gently stir sour cream into beef mixture; serve over noodles.
Show-Off Stroganoff, recipe