- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (5.5 ounce) package scalloped potato mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Dice the bacon and fry in soup pot until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel.
- Add chopped onion to the bacon grease and cook until the onion has softened a bit. Add chicken stock, scalloped potato mix, undrained can of corn, and fresh ground pepper (to your taste). Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the tapered edges from the salmon filet. Smash the trimmings with meat pounder and add to the pot. Check the remaining filet for stray bones and remove. Cut salmon into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch cubes and reserve.
- When potatoes are rehydrated but still a little firm, add the salmon, bacon, green onion, and the dill. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add the milk and evaporated milk; stir and cook until heated through.
simple salmon chowder, recipe