- 8 ounces bacon
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place bacon in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, and cook until evenly brown. Remove, and set aside. Drain drippings, reserving 3 tablespoons in the pot.
- Place onion in the pot with the bacon drippings, and cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Mix in the rice, 2 1/4 cups broth, tomatoes with juice, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir the cooked bacon, remaining 1 cup broth, and shrimp into the pot. Continue cooking 10 minutes, uncovered, over low heat. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
sland Shrimp and Rice, recipe