- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour to form a thick paste until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the flour turns a dark reddish-brown roux, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Pour water into a slow cooker.
- Stir in the roux, sausage, chicken, okra, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Skim off fat with a spoon.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, recipe