- 1 1/4 cups milk (70 to 80 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Combine milk, sugar, butter, and salt in small saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until butter melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Combine 1 cup bread flour, egg, yeast, and milk mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook; beat at lowest speed for 1 minute. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Add 2 3/4 cups bread flour; mix at next-to-lowest speed until dough cleans sides of bowl and sticks to dough hook, about 2 minutes.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, cover, and let raise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, punch down to get out air bubbles, and shape into rolls, placing rolls onto 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Cover with waxed paper and let rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Brush tops of buns with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
Soft Sandwich Buns (Dough Hook Mixer Version), recipe