- 1/2 cup whole grain sorghum, uncooked
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces kale, thick stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white cannellini beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese for topping
- Bring 3 cups of broth to a boil, add 1/2 cup of sorghum and allow to boil gently for approximately 20-25 minutes (liquid will remain, that's fine).
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan with lid over medium to medium/high heat. Add olive oil and saute garlic, onion, salt and pepper until the onion softens (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- Add kale and sriracha, cook until wilted (about 4 minutes).
- Take 1/2 cup of white beans and either blend in a blender/small food processor or mash well with the back of a spoon or fork.
- Add blended beans, remaining whole beans, canned tomatoes, sorghum/broth mixture and additional 4 cups low sodium chicken broth to kale mixture.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Top with grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (approximately 1 teaspoon per bowl) and serve.
Sorghum, Kale and White Bean Tomato Soup, recipe