- 6 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh brown or white mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) container light dairy sour cream
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place the squash, carrots, onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms in a pan. Pour in enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain well using a sieve or colander.
- Mix the sour cream, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, eggs, Italian seasoning, and red pepper together in a large bowl. Toss the sour cream mixture with the chicken, cornbread, and 2 cups Cheddar cheese until evenly blended. Stir in the vegetable mixture. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until the center sets, about 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of Cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Southern Squash Casserole, recipe