- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- In a blender or food processor, combine yogurt, chopped green onion, chipotle peppers, peanut butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Place in a sealed container, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and cumin; sprinkle over chicken. Heat half of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and red peppers until tender; transfer to a plate, and set aside. Wrap pitas in foil, and place in oven for about 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, and saute chicken until no longer pink. Add the onions and red peppers, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Cut pitas in half, and stuff with chicken mixture. Serve with lettuce, cheese, and chipotle sauce.
Southwestern Chicken Pitas with Chipotle Sauce, recipe