- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds beef oxtail, cut into pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until smoking. Brown the oxtail in batches, and set aside. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the pot; cook, stirring constantly, until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in white wine, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Add browned oxtail, beef broth, chocolate, and bay leaves. Return to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 3 hours.
- Season with salt and paprika, stir in carrots, recover, and allow to simmer until carrots are tender.
Spanish-Style Oxtail Stew, recipe