- 4 pounds sliced peeled peaches
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 5 ounces chopped preserved ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- In a large heavy pot, stir together the peaches, raisins, garlic, onion, preserved ginger, chili powder, mustard seed, curry powder, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Wrap the pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag, and place in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat uncovered until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. It will take about 1 1/2 hours to get a good thick sauce. Stir frequently to prevent scorching on the bottom.
- Remove the spice bag, and ladle into hot sterilized jars. Wipe the rims with a clean moist cloth. Seal with lids and rings, and process in a barely simmering water bath for 10 minutes, or the time recommended by your local extension for your area. The water should cover the jars completely.
spicy peach chutney, Chutney recipe