- 2 cups dried split peas
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups whole milk
- In a large stock pot, add split green peas, chicken broth, water, hot pepper sauce, ham hocks, chopped onion, diced potatoes, bay leaves, dried dill weed, white pepper, chicken soup base, soy sauce and red pepper flakes and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hocks and trim off fat. Remove ham from bone and cut into small pieces and return to pot. Simmer soup, covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove 6 cups of soup and puree in a food processor or blender and return to pot. Stir in milk and bring back to a boil and then serve.
Split Pea Soup Atu, recipe