- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 large yellow summer squash, shredded
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup peanut oil, or as needed
- In a bowl, mix the egg, cornmeal mix, squash, onion, onion powder, salt, and black pepper until thoroughly combined (mixture may seem a little dry).
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and drop the squash mixture by large spoonfuls into the hot oil to form patties. Cook until brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Squash Puppies, recipe