- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 pounds pork spareribs
- 2 pounds hickory wood chips, soaked
- In a medium bowl, stir together paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, cumin, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Apply liberally to the ribs. Place ribs in a large roasting pan, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Remove ribs from the refrigerator 1 hour before smoking.
- Prepare an outdoor smoker, bringing the temperature to 200 to 225 degrees F (95 to 110 degrees C).
- Smoke ribs for 6 to 8 hours, adding wood chips to maintain a steady smoke (approximately one handful every 30 to 45 minutes). Ribs are done when crispy outside and tender inside. Remove from smoker, and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Steve's Bodacious Barbecue Ribs, recipe