- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (3 pound) beef round tip roast
- flour for dredging
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 large stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole allspice berries
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of water
- Heat the oil in a heavy, cast iron pot over medium heat. Dredge the roast in the flour, shake off the excess, and brown in the hot oil on all sides. Stir in the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and allspice; cook till lightly browned. Pour in the red wine and bring to a simmer before pouring in the beef broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
- When the meat has finished cooking, remove to a cutting board, and allow to rest for 10 minutes. While beef is resting, thicken the cooking liquid with the cornstarch. Slice the beef and serve with the gravy.
Stovetop Yankee Pot Roast, recipe