- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 green bell peppers, diced small
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 quarts water
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef base
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups brown rice
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir bell pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Break ground beef into small chunks and add to the pot; cook and stir until completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes more. Drain excess fat and return pot to heat.
- Stir water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ketchup, beef base, brown sugar, salt, and pepper into the beef mixture; bring to a simmer and cook until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, bring water and brown rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes; stir into the soup.
Stuffed Green Pepper Soup, recipe