- 4 pounds coarse ground pork shoulder
- 1 pound coarse ground pork back fat
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 80 inches sausage casing, 1 1/2 inches wide
- Using a spice grinder or food processor, pulverize the salt, black pepper and sugar. In a large bowl, mix together the pork shoulder, back fat, garlic powder, mace, coriander, cayenne and ice water. Mix in the salt, pepper and sugar. Use latex gloves when mixing to avoid contamination of the meat, and keep the mixture cold.
- Stuff the sausage mixture into the casings and twist off in 3 inch lengths. If you do not have a stuffer, the sausage can be formed into patties or rolled into logs. Refrigerate and use up in one week or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
talian Sausage - Tuscan Style, recipe