- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan. Stir in the brown rice, and cook until golden brown. Add the lentils, water, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Add additional water if needed; mixture should be very thick. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place the cooked rice mixture in a food processor along with the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic powder. Process until well combined, and the texture of ground meat. Form into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties, using about 3 tablespoons mixture for each.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. In batches, fry patties until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels; cool. Fry remaining patties in the same manner. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
talian vegetarian patties, recipe