- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- 4 cups water, or more as needed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound salt pork, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Place the navy beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain and transfer beans to a pot; add enough water to cover beans.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until beans are slightly tender, about 1 hour.
- Mix 4 cups water, molasses, brown sugar, salt, mustard, and pepper together in a bowl until smooth.
- Mix beans, salt pork, and onion together in a slow cooker. Add molasses mixture and more water to cover beans if needed; stir well.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
The Best Slow Cooker Baked Beans (Dad's Recipe), recipe