- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the red and green bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until wilted and soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and continue to cook and stir for another 15 minutes. Mix in the tuna, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 15 more minutes. Stir in the pine nuts, and serve.