- 1/2 pound smoked bacon
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®) (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble bacon when cool.
- Stir tomatoes, sweet onion, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Stir in crumbled bacon and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the spread is very thick, about 1 hour. Adjust salt and black pepper.
- Cool and spoon into a 1-pint glass jar with a lid; keeps refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 2 months. If freezing, put spread into small jars and let jars thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
tomato and bacon jam, Appetizers recipe