- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or to taste
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cubed
- 3 russet potatoes, diced
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle stout beer, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beef; cook until evenly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in a slow cooker; top with browned beef.
- Pour 1/4 cup beer into the same skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of beef off of the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Stir in tomato paste; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour beer mixture into slow cooker.
- Pour beef broth, remaining beer, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper into slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
Traditional rish Stew, recipe