- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the sweet and hot Italian sausage until browned, about 10 minutes. Break the meat up into crumbles as it cooks. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 8 more minutes. Pour the mixture into a slow cooker. Pour red wine into the skillet, and stir to dissolve the brown flavor bits from the bottom of the skillet. Pour the wine into the slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to Low, and cook for 5 hours. Pour in the cream, stir, cover, and cook for 1 more hour. Adjust salt again if necessary, and serve.
tuscan sausage ragu, recipe