- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium stalk celery, quartered crosswise
- 1 medium carrots, quartered crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 3 (19 ounce) cans Progresso® cannellini beans, drained
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (32 ounce) carton Progresso® reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon gray sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon, onion, celery, carrot and 2 cloves garlic over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Add beans, bay leaf, wine and broth; cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; cool about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 8-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon chopped garlic; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic begins to brown. Stir in red pepper flakes; cook a few seconds. Stir in basil; cook until basil wilts.
- Remove bay leaf from bean mixture. Pour mixture into food processor; cover and puree. Return to saucepan; stir in salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Top each with basil mixture.
Tuscan White Bean Soup, recipe