- 2 pounds apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice and set aside. Combine water, maple syrup, vanilla, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large saucepan, stirring until well mixed.
- Bring maple syrup mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves, and the mixture thickens and turns clear. Fold in apple slices and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 15 minutes before spooning into a prepared pie crust or freezing.
Vanilla-Maple Apple Pie Filling, recipe