- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 Japanese eggplant, halved and sliced
- 6 cups diced buttercup squash
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups small pasta shells
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 (.75 ounce) package basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- Combine oil, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, Japanese eggplant, and buttercup squash sequentially, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir tomatoes into the Dutch oven. Stir in red lentils; add pasta shells. Pour in stock; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until pasta is almost fully cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, and tomato paste together in a small bowl. Pour into the Dutch oven; stir to combine. Stir in nutritional yeast. Add basil, paprika, and black pepper; stir once more.
Vegan Pasta and Lentil Casserole, recipe