- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cups gluten-free vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1/2 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green onion, chopped, or to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and a splash of vegetable broth. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir garlic, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and black pepper into the vegetable mixture. Saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining broth, split peas, sweet potato, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until split peas begin to soften and pop, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer 1/2 the soup into a blender; puree until smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir well. Pour soup into serving bowls and garnish with green onion.
Vegan Split Pea Soup, recipe