- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 1/4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- chili powder to taste
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute cumin seeds and cloves for less than 1 minute. Saute the onion, stirring constantly, until brown. Stir in rice and fry for about 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the water, salt, garam masala, chili powder and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and stir in butter before serving.
Vegetable Biryani, recipe