- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 red potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (32 ounce) carton low-sodium vegetable broth
- water to cover
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium-low heat; cook and stir onion, leek, and garlic until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, broccoli, and potatoes to onion mixture; cook and stir until potatoes are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir broth and enough water to cover vegetables into mixture. Stir curry powder, turmeric, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into broth-vegetable mixture. Loosely cover pot with a lid and bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Whisk milk and flour together in a bowl until smooth and thickened; stir into soup along with nutritional yeast until soup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat and allow to slightly cool and thicken.
Vegetarian Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup, recipe