- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 Macintosh apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl combine white sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add sliced almonds if desired. Mix thoroughly, then add apples. Toss until apples are well coated.
- Turn apples into deep dish pie shell, sprinkle with almond extract if desired, and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with top crust, seal, and cut slits or decorative vents in pastry.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes, or until filling bubbles and apples are tender. May need to cover edges of crust during last 20 minutes to prevent burning.
Vermont Apple Pie, recipe