- 1 pound pork belly, cubed
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, minced
- 3 stalks lemongrass, minced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- bamboo skewers
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, minced, or more to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG), or to taste
- 1 cup water
- Combine pork belly, 1 red chile pepper, lemongrass, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon MSG, 1 teaspoon white sugar, and five-spice powder in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until marinated, 1 to 3 hours.
- Mix 1/4 cup fish sauce, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 red chile pepper, lime juice, 5 cloves garlic, and 1 teaspoon MSG together in a bowl. Let sit until dipping sauce flavors meld, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pour in water.
- Thread the marinated pork belly onto bamboo skewers.
- Preheat grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate. Cook pork skewers, turning occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Vietnamese Grilled Pork Skewers, recipe