- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 2/3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs. Blend in sourdough starter. Add sifted ingredients slowly to creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in water and vanilla, and mix well. Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until done.
sourdough chocolate cake, recipe