- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, or more to taste
- 6 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 slices American cheese, cut into small pieces
- 6 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Place cooked bacon in a large stockpot over medium-high heat; add potatoes, chicken broth, carrots, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover stockpot with a lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently and slightly mashing potatoes, until potatoes are fully cooked, at least 20 minutes. Add extra chicken broth if needed.
- Whisk milk and flour together in a bowl or measuring cup until frothy; slowly pour into soup while constantly stirring. Bring soup back to a simmer and cook until soup is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in American cheese until completely melted. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with green onions.
Becca's Potato Bacon Soup, recipe