- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, with liquid
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and mushrooms, and fry until tender, stirring frequently.
- Combine the garbanzo beans (with liquid) and garlic in the container of a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the mushrooms and onions. Mix in the cilantro, parsley, curry powder and cumin. Add the bread crumbs and egg whites, and mix until thoroughly blended. You can let the mixture sit in the refrigerator to blend flavors at this point, or go on to frying.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat. Form the bean mixture into 4 balls, and flatten into patties. Place the burgers in the hot skillet, and fry for about 5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
Chickpea Falafel Burgers, recipe