- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grape jelly
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 15 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together the white sugar, flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Make a well in the center, and pour in the water, grape jelly, mayonnaise, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter.
- Make the frosting while the cupcakes cool. Combine the butter, half-and-half and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Set the pan over a bowl of ice water and whisk or beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Frost cupcakes when they are completely cool.
chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting, recipe