- MEAT SEASONING
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds beef sirloin
- 3 pounds pork sirloin
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt to taste
- 2 scoops ice cream, any flavor
- To Marinate: The day before preparing the chili, in a large bowl mix together the sage, thyme, basil, marjoram, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cut beef and pork into 1/2 inch cubes and add to bowl. Mix meat and seasoning together, cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- To Make Chili: Begin to heat tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa and 2 teaspoons chili powder in a large pot over medium low heat. Meanwhile, heat bacon grease in a large skillet over medium heat. Add jalapeno peppers and saute until soft, 1 to 2 minutes, then add them to large pot.
- In same skillet fry beef and pork with onion and garlic, in small batches, about 15 to 20 minutes each. As each batch is done add to large pot.
- When all ingredients are in the large pot, season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 3 hours.
- After eating chili, eat ice cream and say "Come on, ice cream!"
Chuck's Come On ce Cream (or Night of the Red Death) Chili, recipe