- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, with juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Stir together cream, milk, sugar, and the juice from the jar of cherries in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Place the egg yolks into a large bowl, then whisk in hot cream, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until you have added 2 cups.
- Whisk the hot yolks into the saucepan of hot cream, then cook on low, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C). It will have thickened enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into a container, cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 6 hours.
- Chop the reserved maraschino cherries, then stir into the cold custard along with almond extract, and chopped chocolate. Pour into ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Divine Cherry Chocolate ce Cream, recipe