- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 shallots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken parts
- In a blender or food processor, blend the soy sauce, oil, sherry, shallots, garlic, ginger, Chinese five-spice powder, serrano pepper, brown sugar, anise, and salt until smooth. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Pour the blended mixture over the chicken, cover, and marinate at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinade. Place chicken on the grill, and cook 10 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
Fabulous Five Spice Chicken, recipe