- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, and herbs.
- Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F); stir into dry ingredients. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 30 inch rope. Braid ropes; pinch ends to seal. Tie knot in center of braid; wrap ends around knot, in opposite directions, and tuck under to make round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubles in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 to 35 minutes or until done, covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional herbs, if desired. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.
garden herb loaf, Yeast Bread recipe