- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch dill seed
- 1 pinch mustard powder
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in melted butter until the onion is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir pork, marjoram, paprika, salt, basil, dill, and mustard powder into the onion mixture; cook and stir until pork is only slightly pink in the center, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour about half the water over the pork mixture. Add sauerkraut and sour cream; stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and add remaining water; cook at a boil until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Grandma Drexler's Bavarian Goulash, recipe