- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons mild curry paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 3 sprigs cilantro, for garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the ground lamb, and cook until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease, and set meat aside. Heat vegetable oil in the same skillet, and stir in onion; cook and stir until the onion begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and continue cooking 1 minute more.
- Stir the cooked lamb back into the skillet along with the tomato paste, curry paste, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in peas, cover, and simmer 5 minutes more. Pour into a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
Keema Matar, recipe