- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter until the mixture is mealy. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x9 inch pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. In a medium bowl, beat eggs until light, and stir in the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Combine 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, baking powder and salt (if desired); whisk into the eggs. Stir in the coconut. Pour over the baked crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until center is set and bars are golden. Cool and frost. To make the frosting: In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Mix in the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time as needed for desired spreading consistency. Spread over cooled bars.
Lemon Squares, recipe