- 1/4 kabocha squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red beet, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 leaves fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water, or more if needed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 5 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Combine kabocha squash, carrots, and beet in a food processor; pulse until coarsely grated.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until sizzling. Add onion, garlic, and sage; cook and stir until onion is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in grated kabocha squash mixture, capers, Italian herbs, and salt.
- Pour water into the saucepan. Cover and simmer sauce, adding more water if needed, until kabocha squash mixture is soft, about 30 minutes. Mash mixture with a fork to make sauce smoother.
- Stir lemon juice and basil into the sauce and let flavors combine, about 1 minute.
Nomato Sauce (Tomato-Free Marinara Sauce), recipe