- 2 (3 ounce) pouches white albacore tuna, drained
- 3 tablespoons Primal Kitchen™ Avocado Oil Mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cornichons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 slices whole wheat or whole grain bread
- 6 thin slices tomato
- 3 large slices Gruyere, white Cheddar, or provolone cheese
- Set the oven to broil and move the rack to the highest position.
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, mustard, red onion, capers, cornichons, lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir thoroughly until combined. Leave the tuna in slightly large chunks, if possible.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread mayonnaise on each slice. Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices of tomato and 1 slice of cheese.
- Broil tuna melts until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm.
Open-Faced Tuna Melt Sandwich, recipe