- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup sugar-based curing mixture (such as Morton® Tender Quick®)
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch dried sage
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 4 (12x18 inch) pieces of nylon netting
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, pork sausage, curing salt, liquid smoke, garlic powder, peppercorns, paprika, sage, and onion flakes until well blended. Cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C).
- Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal pieces, and form each piece into an 8 inch long log. Place each log onto a piece of netting, and roll tightly. Twist the ends and tie with string, or fold under. Place sausage rolls on a broiling pan with a rack.
- Bake for 5 1/2 to 6 hours in the preheated oven. The internal temperature of the sausage should be 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Remove and cool. Remove nylon net, and wrap sausage in foil. Refrigerate overnight before slicing. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Picnic Sausage, recipe