- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup olive oil, or as needed
- Put tomato slices in a colander to drain excess liquid. Discard end slices of tomatoes.
- Whisk milk and egg together in a bowl. Stir flour, cornmeal, panko, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a separate bowl.
- Gently press a tomato slice into the flour mixture to coat and shake to remove excess flour. Dip into the beaten egg, then press again into the flour mixture. Keep breaded tomatoes on a plate while breading the rest; do not stack.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large skillet to reach about 1/2 inch deep. Place skillet over medium heat and heat oil until hot but not smoking. Cook 4 to 5 tomato slices at a time in the hot oil until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes; turn tomatoes and continue cooking until browned on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes more. Reheat oil between batches, adding more oil as needed to maintain 1/2-inch depth.
Sarah's Fried Green Tomatoes, recipe