- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Worcestershire sauce (such as Lea & Perrins®), divided
- 1 (5 pound) beef brisket
- 2 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (32 fluid ounce) container beef broth (such as Progresso®)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (such as Lea & Perrins®)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Mix paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Set spice mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms and shallots until mushrooms have released their liquid, 5 to 8 minutes. Set mushroom mixture aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce. Rub beef brisket thoroughly with spice mixture; place brisket into the margarine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Brown the brisket well on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. As the Worcestershire sauce cooks into the brisket, pour in more, about 1/2 cup at a time, until 1 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce has been added.
- Place a rack into a heavy Dutch oven; place the brisket onto the rack. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce pan drippings, red wine, water, garlic, and beef broth. Top the brisket with the mushroom mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce over the mushrooms and top with 2 tablespoons sliced unsalted margarine.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake brisket in the preheated oven for 3 hours. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake 1 more hour. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees F (105 degrees C) and bake 1 additional hour. Baste with pan drippings every hour.
- Let the brisket rest for about 20 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Serve with pan gravy.
Sensational Slow Cooked Beef Brisket, recipe