- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lean beef, cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the beef in the oil for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and place seasoned meat in a slow cooker. Add a little water to the skillet and stir to pick up the browned bits. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley and barley. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender. Add the thyme just before serving.
Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup, recipe