- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, divided
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- In a small saucepan, dissolve 2 teaspoons of the bouillon granules in 1/4 cup boiling water. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, and egg. Mix in the dissolved bouillon. Shape into meatballs, about 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the meatballs on all sides. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, remaining beef bouillon granules, and ginger. Pour into the pan with meatballs. Cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining pineapple juice and cornstarch. Stir into meatball mixture, and simmer until thickened. Add green pepper and pineapple chunks; heat thoroughly.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs V, recipe